Thursday, March 16, 2006

Thai YCS Key Leaders Camp

March 11 - 13, 2006

11.03.06 Set out from SriRacha early morning and reached Xavier's Hall in Bangkok (near Victory Monument) around 10-ish. Met new friends and set off to Siam Square for an exposure trip by sky train.

Key Leaders' Camp was held in Samphran's St. Joseph's Garden Home. The location is somewhat like a dorm area for church activities. I was totally blur throughout the camp but was lucky to have translators like Marx, Ew and Tiffany.

Food was always good. Ate lots of Thai food with extra chilly all the time. :) My flu has miraculously disappeared, thanks to my determination to force myself for trips. :) Am healthy and kicking.

Lots more new Thai friends. How we communicate is another very interesting tale to tell. :) Some speak a bit of English, some more than the other. Others do not speak at all. We use signs and actions. :) 'Actions really speak louder than words'.

Thai YCS are very creative with games and action songs. Am really impressed at the way the seniors passed on information to the new ones. I learnt that most of the seniors will not be around for the national camp that will be held next week and so they have to train the young ones asap.

12.03.06 I met 2 delegates that I actually got met 10 years ago during the 4th SEA Session. It is true that in YCS, goodbyes do not exist. It's always 'see you again'. Was fun chatting with Wat and Ew about the good old days.

To celebrate the success of this camp, we had a little party. Followed Bro. Siam and some other YCS members to Don Wai market. They are famous for their snacks and food. Took lots of pics and had a real good time even though it was really hot.

Had a little rosary procession from the grave to a shrine and later a liturgy of light. Somehow the little ceremony touched me tremendously. It meant so much singing the song 'All over YCS, we will let it shine' while lighting planting the candle to the centre with the main light. It is also very interesting to find Buddhist YCS members. I really wonder what they feel. Some tell me they enjoy being in YCS and they also enjoy the Christian activities YCS offers. Interesting.

Everyone pigged in and there was a roasted pig. Had fun just chilling with the group. Somehow it doesn't feel too bad not being a Thai. Sure I'm always blur as they chatter in Thai but at least they are friendly and go all out to try to make me feel alright.

Was really tired and fell asleep late.

13.03.06 The last day came and went and before I knew it the Key Leaders' Camp was over! I managed to learn a few Thai words from Tae who was so engrossed in teaching me his language that he was unaware that he was elected as the O.C of the national camp! :) So cute.

And everyone left and I did too. Visited Assumption College Thonburi that
Bro. Siam's stationed till the new semester starts. The school is so awesome. Not as widespread as Assumption College Sriracha but they have excellent facilities and American-school-like buildings. :) It's just beautiful.

Settled in Apple's condo and went to Pinklao for dinner and dessert at Swensen's. Shopped a bit at the night market and went home after that.

Rode on a taxi, bus and motorcycle all in one day. The experience was overwhelming. :) The motorcycle ride was smashing. Had my hair blowing in all directions. Memories of the 1st year in MSC came flooding back. And it was gone for the ride was over, just like all that has past.


And I'm still here. Living the life of a uni student in Bangkok. Life's okay and everything's really nice. And I'm well- fed and happy. :) What more could I want?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. now you know what dan feels when we all sit around chattering in mandarin. ;)

Don't get too comfortable ya, you gotta come back!

Vicky said...

Hey. It's worse than that okay? It's many, many time worse! But am getting the grip. :)

Anyway, it's really comfy here but home's in USJ 6. :P