Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Letter to my family - Oct 11, 08

Written at the end of Semester 1...

Believe it or not, I have finished 1 semester day of my 8 semesters course. How time flies. It's just like yesterday when I enrolled here. Things are going good. I can read faster now compared to before, I have more patience, I'm healthier, I lost 7 kgs in the past 2 months, I made new friends from all over the world, I learned to speak basic Tagalog, I'm smoking less (haha.. :P I promise I'll quit after this course. ), I got to understand my religion in a better way, realized many things in the world, learned much about politics n economics n social issues, read 8 of the world's best literature books, can write more creatively now :P, learned another perspective of the geography subject - much much more. I've also learned to be tougher, not to cry too much (I only cry when I get emails from you guys.. :P), I'm no longer depressed, I've finally finally accepted and got over daddy's passing, n I think I can walk so much more now than ever before. On a happier note too, I feel very young. haha. I also realized that for my case ah, as this is the 2nd course I'm taking though 1st degree, there's still so much in life for me to learn. You all know how I hated science subjects. Next semester, I pre enlisted for subjects like Natural Science (Basic Physics and Chemistry) and Biology. I just feel that it's time to learn this things before I grow too old to remember anything. I realized that I was really stubborn n a bit too strong headed in the past. Things that I didn't like, I will never even give it a shot. But now, I feel that if I want to be a good social worker who can work with everyone in the world despite all the differences and walks of life, I need to at least know how to talk to all these people, from the richest to the poorest, the smartest to the ahem.. not so smart. And without all the basic knowledge, I won't be able to do so. I will be like an empty vessel. And I don't want to be an empty vessel la. It's a good thing that this course has general education subjects. Last semester, I took 3 GE subjects: Geography, English World Literature and Creative Writing. As I will be given an opportunity to take 5 GE subjects from Arts and Humanitarian, Social Science and Philosophy and Maths Science and Technology... I guess I'll most prob cover almost all basic fields of occupations available. I don't see it as jack of all trades, master of none. Well, I'll be master of social work.. but knowing more wont hurt me. :) So there. I think I did quite alright for this semester. I have 3 subjects that are completed. I have to submit papers for 3 more, and take my PE exam. But other than that, it's all done. Other than my PE, I'm sure if I submit all the papers, I just need an average grade to do quite alright for all my subjects. I've tried, I've not been totally crazy and studying like mad or not at all, so I've been averagely alright. I'm sure my grades will b okay :) The learning experience was wonderful. There. That's all for now. Just wanted to share a bit of my life with you guys. Miss u all much.

p.s. I also realized I had muscles in the body in parts that I never knew existed. haha. I had advanced stretching with bands and balls for my PE class, and so I did a lot of circuit training. :)

No comments: