Tuesday, December 23, 2008

An email to my family - Dec 17, 08

Hi all.

:)
The weather's so cold nowadays. It's a bit colder than the normal air con room at night..

Been rushing like mad to finish up 2 assignments, which I have completed.. and now my holiday officially begins!

Will be participating in the U.P. Christmas Lantern Parade later. Very excited. My dorm has our own float which I helped build too. I'm so proud of myself.

Yesterday I had my dorm's Christmas Party too. For the gift exchanged, I was supposed to give something to either boy or girl that cost RM 8 (plus minus la).. so I just gave a toothbrush, toothpaste n box of floss. Haha. I know it's a peculiar gift, but my friend who got it was somewhat pleased that at least the gift is practical :)I in return got a photo frame. Well, I'm OK with frames.. but that one wasn't even worth RM 8.. how I knew? The person forgot to remove the price tag.. :P

My classmates and I had a gift exchange too. The girl whose name I picked.. she's a bit erm.. snobbish and stuff. So I just got her a gift voucher for starbucks worth that price. Haha :P And I in return, got a very nice apron and kitchen mittens and pot holder. I'm so pleased. This gift exchange thing is fun as I know it's difficult to receive presents here. I also don't have the money to return their favors if they do. Presents are a bit difficult for me to buy la.

I might be going for a trip with the IMCS friends but it'll be an all expense paid trip. :) most prob going north to the highlands. Whoa, it'll be cold!!!

Anyway, I was inducted as the VP on Dec 4 and went for a council bonding trip on Dec 7 that weekend. Sadly, I had a minor accident at the waterfalls. I was washed slightly downhill by the strong currents and slammed around the big rocks. But as you can see me happily typing here, I'm fine. I just had some cuts and scratches, and bruises.. No major probs. But I'm fine and I know not to be so silly again.

I organized my friend's 20th birthday too. She's Ava, an Indian girl.. very much like me.. bossy and demanding as well. Haha. She was so happy with the party I threw for her (I didn't throw financially, just coordinated A LOT). I turned a lousy looking room in our dorm to look nice enough for a party la. It was fun and my fellow dorm mates were impressed. Hah! :) The same evening, we went out for drinks and I gave another friend Bon, a Japanese, a surprise too. We got her cake and flowers. She turns 21 on Dec 26 but we all won't be around anymore.

I have very good friends here. Joy is the closest friend. She's only 18 but she's a sophomore and we're like best buddies as we're classmates for some subjects. Ava and Bon too are very close to me. They used to cook for me, hang out with me, and just basically be there when I got homesick. Ava's a fine arts student and Bon a sociology exchange student. Having the surprises for them were really my way of thanking them for always being there.

I was also emcee for a program that was held on Dec 6. It was in conjunction and celebration of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. We had a program where some students gathered to learn more about UDHR for half a day. :) On Dec 8, I coordinated a program at a depressed area (a village that is situated on dump site land) for 10 Singaporean students and this exposure was in relation to the violations of Human Rights as well. :)

Life has been.. okay :)

So now it's time to rest. But before I do, I will enjoy myself thoroughly during this evening's Christmas Lantern Parade.

I guess you've all received my Christmas cards for you. I miss you all terribly and horribly as the carols are endless aired at all corners of this part of the world and as the cold chilly wind blows by. Hugss!!!

Mom, thanks for the blouse. It's a bit big la (hehe, I lost weight ma..) but I love it and everyone told me it was nice. I wore it last night during the Christmas party as I was the emcee. :) Also, the fried rice I cooked (halal it was as there are Muslims in my dorm) was a hit and finished off very fast! Oh yeah, I cook well now! Haha..

That's all. Happy Christmas everyone!!! Will write again soon.

Love lots n lots
Honey in the chilly MM

p.s. It's so cold that if you don't wear a jacket at night, you'll freeze. :P

No comments: