Friday, January 20, 2006

Burnt black from Trip One.

Someone asked me if I'm Chinese today. Again. People often confuse my race, not like it really matters le. I'm so rojak biologically and otherwise. :P

Sun burnt. Doesn't hurt that much anymore. Got back from Trip One with my lecturer (and friend) for her Masters Thesis on the Visuals of Chinese Shop Houses. Interesting topic, did a big bit of taking pictures in Perak, Penang, Kedah and Perlis. Bliss. 4 1/2 days - 4 states.

We set off for Trip One last Saturday (14/1) and drove to Ipoh. Stayed at Heritage, ate Taugeh Chicken, took lots of pics and got Old and New town confused. Learnt more from Fiona's text books. Gee, I should consider using this topic for a degree of some sort???

Sunday (15/1). Went to Old Town. Hey.. it's so nearby you can't tell the difference! Left for Penang's Georgetown. It's pretty hot and stuffy there. Lots of Chinese burning papers for the dead, I guess. Everyone's out buying and buying. Stayed at Grand Con Pg. Not too great but the service was nice. More pics. Ate at Lrg. Baru - Char Kuey Tiao, Beef Noodles, Tau Kuah Bakar, Apam and Muachee. Hmm.. and I thought this trip would make me thinner.. Aduh. Chat and went to sleep.

Woke up early and ate the 2nd Buffet Breakfast of this trip. Took more pics after breakfast and was almost late for check out! Went to Chulia Street and that stretch (Campbell, Pintal Tali, Beach, Kimberly, Carnavon.. and the whole lot..) I think when I was born, bits of my soul flew in from Penang. I seem to know this place now. Hmm.. Checked out but went for a shopping and photo taking spree. Nice. Love Lane. Met a very cute guy selling fruits. Gee. Drove to Alor Setar, Kedah. Found the hotel (another Grand Con), checked in - ate dinner, back to the hotel and blacked out.

Gee. It's Tuesday already. Had the most amazing day today. Started out taking pics and exploring Alor Setar. Apparently, the government in A.S seems to be making extra effort to maintain the old buildings. Repainting them and stuff. Am touched. Other places don't seem to bother - not even many parts of Georgetown and Ipoh are maintained well! After checking out we headed to Kangar. It's pretty interesting, the little highway we were travelling on.. actually it's a trunk road. We got to see melons and their vines circling off electrical wyers crossing the trunk road. :) amazing! They've got baby traffic lights there. Cute. Small place. Nice food. And we headed north to find the exit to the highway. Fiona kinda freaked out at this part. We were going so north we were heading to Thailand. Even the names of the area were getting funny - Arau; Changloon.. But we go onto the highway and drove all the way down to Ipoh passing Kedah and Penang Mainland. Whoa. What a day. Driving past 4 states and hanging out at 3 in 1 day. Sleepy.. sleepy...

Last day, Wednesday (18/1). Bought food!!! Went to 'The Story of Ipoh' at Muzium Darul Ridzuan. Was amazing, the exhibition. Can't say much bout today. I'm totally burnt, I'm sick of Buffet Breakfast (had 4 consecutive mornings of that!) and am ready to rest in.. Selangor. Aduh.

Good to be back. But I'm very black. :) (It's not a bad thing, healthy color for outdoor photographers like me!)

No comments: