Saturday, June 27, 2009

Totally unrelated and yet...

Being in Moonwalk these past few days has stirred an old memory that dates back to December 23 last year.

It was a peak season for the Filipinos to end their last minute Christmas and New Year shopping and start to find their way home. I picked Charles up from Mall of Asia and took a bus to Moonwalk, hoping to catch a jeepney back to the IMCS office to meet the rest before heading home. We were scheduled for an office outing and Charles wanted to tag along on his own expense.

Charles and I were both rather enthusiastic as we descended from the bus and walked amidst the thick crowd towards the jeepney area. However, Charles was very amused at the array of people and things for sell at the side walk and small night market area.

When we finally got to the area where catching a jeepney was as easy as counting to 10, we tried to hail passing jeepneys but failed. After many attempts, my patience was starting to wear out and I was started to get a bit tired and annoyed.

Charles asked me if it was normal for such difficulty to occur and I told him (or perhaps snapped at him @@) that it wasn't. After waiting for half an hour, I started to worry a bit. We tried to get a tricycle but couldn't find any as well. Charles started to suggest stupid ideas like hailing private tricycles or jeepneys to beg them or charter them to bring us to the office. Occasionally I ignored him but honestly, I was beginning to worry to the extend of thinking that some of his ideas were pretty good.

And when all efforts were failing and all hope was almost gone, a ordinary bus (those without air con) came by. We stopped the bus and got in. It was already rather packed when we got in but after making a few more stops, the bus was horribly packed with Filipinos of all sexes (male, female, bakla, whatever, you name it..) and demographics (okay, perhaps no rich ones but definitely of all aged groups!!!) Some were carrying life chickens or roosters and their grocery bags.. well, almost everyone had something in hand (Christmas shopping, perhaps???) It somewhat reminded me of a refugee bus. I felt like a refugee on an escape route to .. paradise?

We were of course the odd ones out. People were giving us weird stares and when it was time for us to get off the bus, I had to fall over a few grocery bags and apologize endlessly to the staring crowd.

Charles told me it was a fun experience. I rolled my eyes.

Half a year later, I look back at this experience and smile. He was right. It was fun (albeit being a bit scary @@)..

I miss hanging out with you, Charles. I do.

No comments: