Monday, July 21, 2008

As another year creeps up

I've been paranoid for the past week about today. :) July 21.

I can't recall a year when my birthday wasn't a special day for me. I can't remember not having my friends around, and not getting wishes throughout the day. And somehow when I moved here, all the insecurities started to flow. I was afraid that my best buddies back home, the chimuis and all the family members I have, will forget my birthday.

I was so much of a paranoid that I started reminding people of my birthday. I really did not want to go through a July 21 without being wished and without my friends making a little bit of a fuss for me. It's not
just the attention, please don't get me wrong.. it's more like the confirmation and security my friends offer when they remember that special day of mine.

Anyway, I had a lovely dinner at the Old Spaghetti House on Saturday with Joy from Korea, Bon and Rika from Japan, Farah from the Philippines and Christoph from America. Other than Farah, the others are all from one of my classes 'Social Welfare & the Philippine Reality'. As foreigners, we somehow find comfort to know that the other is around and experiencing the same difficulties. Occasionally, our countries (thank God we're Malaysians and Malaysians have not done colonising and buying up people's land much in the Philippines) are condemned for the behaviours of the government and the ancestors. I really admire how my friends from those other countries can cope with all the accusations (not all are false though) about their homeland. Even though the good food contributed much to our awesome evening, it was the conversations we had that were really fun and enjoyable - getting to know each other, our different cultures and talking about our happy, sad and stupid moments. I won't ever forget that evening. :)

I met up with Adrian (IMCS Asian Coordinator from Malaysia) at Trinoma yesterday. Prior to yesterday, I met one of his friends (whom he hasn't met before yesterday) Nerve, who's an activist and also an ex UP student, at a social awareness exhibition that shed much light on the current political and social issues in the Philippines. I met Nerve again yesterday and was also introduced to Golda. Golda's a really petite girl who at her young age, has already contributed much to documentary productions on social issues in the Philippines. We bumped into Richard and Audrey who're fighting for the rights of the indigenous people north of Luzon as well. :) It was a very interesting afternoon full of debates and inputs on issues that I am curious about. Richard and Audrey left after lunch but the remaining 4 of us went for Mamma Mia. Hilarious, fun and truly sweet, I would definitely recommend this movie to those who enjoy the 'new oldies'.

After the movie, Golda and Nerve parted ways from us and Adrian and I were joined by Girard. He's a seminarian who's taking a vacation from the religious life. :P I make that sound so wrong, but I guess he's just taking some time off before tying the knot with God. Nothing too wrong about THAT la. We took a jeep and met up with another Malaysian lady Teresa who trains lay leaders prior to their service in their own ministries and countries. She's fun, she's crazy and we had lots to laugh about through dinner of pizza and other side dishes. Saying more goodbyes after dinner, we went to Sarah's (a drinking place on UP campus at Krus Na Ligas) and met up with Shao Yi (a Malaysian Community Development graduate student from my college who loves drinking.. :P). Amidst the laughter and getting to know each other, we were joined by Diks, Leo, Archie and Kal. I stayed with Diks before moving out to Pook Dagohoy and Archie and Kal were my housemates. Leo visits us so often and as we spent much time together, we're close too. I was so overwhelmed with happiness to see so many friends there. Other than Diks, the rest are friends that I met since coming here. I admit I wasn't totally innocent that night la. Girard and I were joking about hooking up after knowing each other for 4 hours. I guess the group were a bit tipsy so our jokes were not too innocent but they were all for laughing purposes lang. Nerve came over with his friend but sat on a different table though. At midnight (they counted down for me), they lit lighters for me to wish on and 'blow out' and many wished me happy birthday :)

Before midnight, Glo sent me a message to 'forewarn' me that she will only call in the evening. :) Thoughtful. Maybe past history of being the first or the last and somehow not making it just makes us very careful about each other's birthday! :P Farah messaged me at midnight and 40 minutes later Nic called. Oh yay!! I got my call. The call that represents that I'm not TOTALLY forgotten back home, that was enough to keep me smiling throughout the night. Our group thinned out and I was sent home in a cab. (Adrian was a bit shocked to see Pook Dagohoy). :P Girard messaged me before I fell asleep, wishing me happy birthday again. He's so sweet. :P

And this morning when I woke up, Jet (my classmate for English classes) sent me a message too. Chia, Maan and Mommy Santiago have sent their wishes as well and I'm asked to have lunch later with Betsy. I was supposed to eat Malaysian food cooked by Shao but drinks last night is giving her a horrible hangover! :P I feel bad... My future sister in law/ classmate/ most 'kikai' girl in class, Kat sent her greetings too.

I HAD to go online to get my wishes so here I am. Mom sent me a mail that made me cry. I was just too happy to receive her mail - she sent it early in the morning after waking up before doing her morning exercise!! Jane and Jerome sent their wishes through her too, Jane even reminded her to wish me! :) That's something to cry about, right? :P I can't log on to Friendster as I'm in the library but so far on Facebook, I had wishes from Sharon, Cammy, Triz, Audrey, Melor, Angel, Ali (a Nigerian guy who was trying to court me), Wan Ling (oh my God I'm so lucky she remembered!!!!), Reese, Wani and Boo. :) Papa Kelvin messaged me just now too. :) Joy gave me my first gift of a Sound of Music original VCD. Yay, non piracy - I can bring the VCD with me to different countries without being locked up! Adrian gave me spices from Thailand as requested so that food will be more tolerable here. (I'm Malaysian, I'm pampered with thousands of dishes from many, many ethnic groups. I can be choosy about food if I want to be!!) I know I sound like I'm counting and recording and I actually am. Every year for my birthday, I write down my messages on paper before deleting them off days (or months) later. I am THAT sentimental la. :P

I am lucky and truly blessed. And though I'm far away from home, those from home still remember they love me. That's already something to be really happy about. On top of that, I have new friends wishing me and celebrating for me.

I just have to learn to take things easy. Things will turn out well, eventually. Harry's advice is echoing in my head again. Oh how I miss having him around.

I'm letting my paranoia sleep for now. Hopefully it will never wake up again. Count my blessings, count my blessings. :) That's what I should do. And thank God too.

p.s. While writing this, I got to chat with Caryn who's in Melbourne now. :) How good it is to chat.. :)

No comments: